If you’re already familiar with RC flying, but want to enhance your experience by emulating the feeling of being in an actual aeroplane pilot seat, there is no better way to achieve that than with RC FPV plane models.
How Are FPV RC Plane Models Different?
Aside from the already mentioned capability to enjoy flight from the first-person perspective, FPV RC planes come with a whole set of features that sets them apart from their counterparts. These include:
- Stabilisation systems:Seeing as FPV RC pilots fly their planes in goggles in first-person view, gyroscopes and other stabilisation features are necessary to ensure a smooth flying experience.
- Additional safety features:When flying an FPV RC plane model, you don’t have the luxury of seeing the surroundings of your plane as clearly. Due to the significant degree of immersion, it can also be easy to fly beyond the aircraft’s maximum range. Failsafe features, like auto-landing when signal is lost, are often implemented in FPV vehicles to keep the plane from getting damaged.
- Aerodynamic design:All planes are designed with aerodynamics in mind, but FPV models take this principle to a whole new level. In first-person perspective flight, stability is paramount, which is why most FPV RC plane models are designed to maximise it.
- Extended flight range:Most people who fly RC FPV planes do so because they want to experience the freedom of roaming the skies. Maximising range helps pilots enjoy that freedom to the highest possible extent – maintaining the same range as other RC planes would radically limit the experience.
Are RC FPV Planes Suitable for Beginners?
Generally speaking, it is recommended that you already have some knowledge of how to fly a regular RC plane before making the switch to an FPV model. Does it mean that, as an absolute beginner, you can’t get started with FPV RC planes? Not exactly.
There are certain models out there that are perfectly suitable for beginners. Take the Plug-n-Play version of theOpterra 1.2M PNP as an example. With minimal assembly and installation work required, this FPV RC plane model may be the perfect choice for rookies eager to explore the skies from the first-person perspective.
Learning to fly FPV comes with a few caveats, though. We would recommend that any beginner who is interested in taking up the hobby start by flying under the watchful eye of a person with extensive RC flying experience. That way, you’ll be able to learn the ropes, all the while having someone next to you who can take over in case of an emergency and avoid damaging the plane or its surroundings.
How to Choose the Right FPV RC Plane
As you shop around for the perfect FPV plane model for your needs, consider the following factors:
- Budget:If you’re a newcomer toRC flying, there’s probably no need to break the bank on the latest, newest FPV plane. On the other hand, if you already have some experience with remote-controlled aircraft, you might want to consider going for a pricier model with more cool features.
- Size:Choosing the right size depends on how you intend to use your FPV RC plane. If you want to fly across short distances and perform tricks in the air, a smaller plane is the better option. If, on the other hand, lengthy flights during which you’ll take in the sights are something you’re after, then we’d recommend choosing a larger model.
- Flight features:Things like wing design, video transmission, or failsafe mechanisms all affect the quality of your flight experience. Consider where and how you’ll fly the plane and look for features that best suit your requirements.
How Much Do FPV RC Plane Models Cost?
Just like in the case of any otherRC vehicle, the price of FPV plane models ranges widely, from low-end, very affordable options, all the way to expensive aircrafts meant to be used by highly experienced RC pilots.
At AT Models, the pricing of our FPV RC planes falls in the medium range, starting from £160 and ending at just over £300. Keep in mind that our inventory is regularly updated as new options hit the market, so make sure to visit our website frequently to stay informed of all the latest price changes and RC model releases.